How do great writers evoke great cultural landscapes?
How do you frame travel experiences in writing?
And how do you “pull a perfect sentence out of the air with the ease of a child netting a butterfly,” in the words of Dalrymple?
This survey class covers many forms, from the travel blog to the travel article, the travel memoir to the travel guide.
We’ll read world-class travel writing, study technique, and devise a creative direction for your own work.
You'll leave the class with:
- a list of classic & new books that feature a place as a character
- your own travel piece, written during the weekend
- guidance on how to expand that piece
- top 10 travel-writing techniques
- next steps for your writing
All levels and non-native speakers of English speakers are welcome.