What "counts" as flash fiction?
Stories of around 1500 words—or fewer.
What's so great about super-short stories?
Sometimes, we can finish a first draft in a single sitting. Better still, we can practice story structure, voice, cause-and-effect storytelling—all the elements that go into making a piece moving.
At this hands-on workshop, we will:
- Write an original short story and hear it read aloud, anonymously
- Read & analyze 13 entertaining works of flash fiction
- Explore how to write brief yet compelling stories
- Discover form-specific revision techniques
- Learn who publishes flash fiction
There’s no need to bring a story to this class; you’ll write your piece—and hear positive feedback—over the course of two days. We welcome beginners as well as non-native speakers of English.